Mobile surveys turn Point of Sale into a Point of Insight
Point of sale consumer surveying certainly isn’t new—pen-and-clipboard-equipped surveyors have been a mainstay in our malls and grocery stores for years. But the ubiquity of mobile devices and app-less mobile surveys and quizzes are re-writing the POS playbook.
So don’t go deploying another legion of surveyors just yet. Compare that old-school approach, and its considerable costs, time commitment and post-survey administration, with the creative ways brands are leveraging consumers’ smartphones and tablets.
Mobile surveys improve point of sale data for a smaller investment
Fully branded mobile surveys and/or quizzes are simple to create and cost a fraction of using human surveyors. And the best mobile survey platforms don’t require consumers to install an app before they participate.
Perhaps as important as any of these points is the real-time feedback mobile surveys provide. You’ll have access to respondents’ information the instant someone completes your POS survey or quiz. These real-time insights can often alert you of a messaging or perception problem, they can lead to new-product ideas, or illustrate how seemingly unrelated market factors impact consumer perceptions.
7 best practices for using mobile surveys to collect POS insights
- Put the invitation to participate on the package or on store signage. A simple URL or QR code with an incentive to participate is really all you need.
- Offer an incentive, or challenge them with a quiz. It doesn’t take much, but offering something your customers perceive as valuable is essential. Gamify your effort with a quiz, and encourage participants to challenge their friends when they’re finished!
- Design your mobile survey or quiz with your brand in mind. The interaction folks have with your brand during the survey should look and feel like the rest of your brand: logo, colors, messaging, tone.
- Tell them it’ll take less than a minute. People will only give you so much of their time, even in the hopes of winning a prize. So tell them up front that they won’t be spending more than 60 seconds, and stick to your word.
- Improve your survey or quiz as you go. Because you’re only printing your survey’s gateway (link or QR code), even as it’s live, you can revise or edit the questions that participants see. If you solicit open-ended comments and notice a theme, you can add a new question addressing it.
- Collect participants’ email addresses. You can make it a mandatory aspect of taking the survey or quiz. The benefit is that you’ll be adding to your brand community database. You’ll also have an immediate way to correct a problem a respondent identifies, or reward participants with a coupon or other special offer.
- Offer an installed solution for people who don’t have a mobile. Depending on how many locations you want to collect from, you can install a secured tablet on a pedestal or elsewhere in the store for people to take your survey on. Call it out with a sign or floor sticker. It doesn’t take much, as most people still are attracted to interacting with a sleek and shiny tablet computer.
Creating a mobile survey or quiz is fast and requires no design or technical skill
Anyone can leverage the power of mobile surveys and quizzes—and build them with point-and-click ease online. Branding these new mobile tools automatically is as easy as uploading their logos. They write the questions and answer choices, and can even add photos, video and audio files to make the questions more interactive. When they’re finished the short creation process, the online platform generates a unique URL and QR code that their audience will use to access the survey or quiz—without needing to download an app.
Point of sale insights are still priceless. Mobile surveys just makes getting them easier.
An estimated 70% – 80% of the world’s adult population owns a mobile phone; the number climbs every day. Harnessing the power of smartphones and tablets to engage consumers as they’re experiencing your brand is simple, affordable and quick to deploy. The real-time insights that await you can revolutionize what you know about your customers and how you market to them.
Did you like this post? Sharing is caring!